Since last year, there has been a lot of speculation about Spotify: specifically, whether there was a possibility of an IPO by the company. Last year Spotify hired a new CFO, Barry McCarthy, who is known for his expertise on IPOs and specifically for the IPO of Netflix.
Recently CNBC included Spotify on its list CNBC Disruptor 50 of 2016, and gave us a hint of what may be in the future for the company:
- There is a new big competitor on the internet radio industry, Apple Music
- Spotify has three times the amount of paying customers than Apple music… And Apple is not catching up anytime soon.
- Spotify currently has 30 million paying customers and a total of 100 million active users
- Spotify is now available on the trendy new Amazon Echo
- According to CNBC, the nature of the latest round of funding “suggests that an IPO will happen sooner rather than later“
- Spotify’s recent $1 billion raise (which included a coupon that pays an annual 5% increasing by 1% every six months until the company goes public) has done nothing to quell the speculation.